Saturday, March 5, 2016

On The Road Again

Ethel & Lucy (aka Annette & Elaine)
on their 2015 Texas Road Trip

Friday, March 4, should have been a sad day for me, because it marked the 20th anniversary of the death of my husband. I can't believe it has been that long. But I'm not going to write another tear-jerker. I'm in good spirits, because I'm packing for a journey. I do love to travel.

My friend Annette is here from Chicago, and we're about to embark on our second annual Texas Road Trip. We have tickets to the George Strait Team Roping Classic, but while that’s our main focus, getting there and back will produce at least half the fun. This year, we're headed first to Fort Worth, where we'll tour the Stockyards, visit Billy Bob's and take a horseback ride on the old Chisholm Trail…if we don’t get rained out. Then we'll head south to Boerne, near San Antonio, where the GSTRC is held.

We'll probably go back to Gruene Hall, a rustic beer hall where Strait sang when he first started in the country music business. So did many other country artists, for that matter. It’s in New Braunfels. We may take in some of the sights around Fredericksburg that we missed last year, maybe visit the wildlife at Lady Bird Johnson Park, or hike to the summit at the Enchanted Rock State Park. I do hope the Blue Bonnets are in bloom.

Lord knows what back roads we’ll take going home, but we'll have an adventure, a la Thelma and Louise but without Brad Pitt, being chased by the law or the tragic ending. Or maybe we’re more like Lucy and Ethel. 

Annette and I always have a good time together, regardless of what we do. We talk each other's heads off and laugh so much our jaw muscles get sore. 

During this trip, we'll also be planning what to see on our Las Vegas adventure next month. We'll be flying instead of driving for that one, so our sight-seeing will be from tour buses. We have seventh-row tickets to see George Strait in concert at the T-Mobile Arena. Do you see a pattern here?

So, I'm keeping this post brief because I have a lot more to do. There’s a reunion today (Saturday the 5th) of the youth who attended Ninth Avenue Baptist Church in the 1960s. Stay tuned over the next few weeks for some road stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment